Self-Harm Treatment


It is important for anyone who self-harms to see their GP, who will aim to treat the underlying emotional cause as well as any physical injury. Your GP is likely to ask you about your feelings in some detail. They will want to establish why you self-harm, what triggers it and how you feel afterwards.

Your GP may ask you some questions to see if you have an underlying condition such as depression, anxiety or borderline personality disorder. If the way you self-harm follows a particular pattern of behaviour, such as an eating disorder, you may be asked additional questions about this. Your height, weight and blood pressure may also be checked, and you may be asked about any drinking or drug-taking habits.

It is important that you are honest with your GP about your symptoms and your feelings. If you don’t know why you self-harm, tell your GP this.

Specialist referral

Recent research indicates that most teenagers who self-harm are able to give up this behaviour as they learn to manage feelings in healthier ways, for example, by talking to others. 

However, some young people who self-harm continue to do so into adulthood and if you fall into this category, your GP may refer you to a mental health professional. This could be:

  • a counsellor – somebody who is trained in talking therapies
  • a psychiatrist – a qualified medical doctor with further training in treating mental health conditions
  • a psychologist – a health professional who specialises in the assessment and treatment of mental health conditions

For example, if you have lost a close relative, you may be referred to a specialist grief counsellor for help coping with bereavement. If you are self-harming after an incident of rape, or physical or mental abuse, you may be referred to someone who is trained in dealing with victims of sexual assault or domestic abuse.

If you have another condition that is linked to your self-harming, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia, you may be referred to a specialist in eating disorders and a dietitian or nutritionist (somebody who specialises in nutrition).

It might also be recommended that you attend a self-help group, for example, Alcoholics Anonymous if you are misusing alcohol, or Narcotics Anonymous if you aremisusing drugs. These groups can offer support as you try to stop your self-harming behaviour.


You may be offered a psychosocial assessment, which aims to investigate all the factors that contribute to your self-harming, including:

  • social factors – for example, your relationships with others
  • psychological factors – your feelings and emotions
  • motivational factors – what made you want to do it

You will be asked about your current feelings, particularly if you are feeling hopeless or considering suicide. If you have any other symptoms, either physical or emotional, you will also be asked about these.

After the assessment you will be allowed to read through what has been written to make sure that you agree with it. Any further treatment will, if possible, be decided jointly between you and your mental health professional. It will be a specific programme for you according to your needs and what is likely to be effective. You will be asked for your consent before any treatment begins.

Seeking immediate help for an injury or overdose

Some physical injuries may need treating in an accident and emergency (A&E) department, minor injuries unit or walk-in centre. For example, you may need to call 999 for an ambulance if:

  • you or somebody else have taken an overdose of drugs, alcohol or prescription medication
  • somebody is unconscious
  • you or somebody else are in a lot of pain
  • you or somebody else are having difficulty breathing
  • you or somebody else are losing a lot of blood from a cut or wound
  • you or somebody else are in shock after a serious cut or burn

If your injury is not serious, you could be treated at a minor injuries unit (MIU). These healthcare services are run by doctors or nurses to assess and treat minor injuries, such as:

  • minor burns and scalds
  • infected wounds
  • broken bones

View as PDF


The Have I Got A Problem website is a free online resource to help people better understand any issues or concerns they may have about mental health or addiction. The website includes resources specifically focused to; general Mental Health, Depression, Stress, Anxiety, Insecurities, Self-harm Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Anger Management, Eating Disorders, Coping, general Addiction, Alcohol, Smoking, Gambling, Drugs, Cocaine, Heroin, Marijuana (Cannabis) Ecstasy, PCP, Mephedrone, Ketamine & Crystal Meth.

The site was created to give the public information to help them understand mental health and addiction issues and to assist people in making better informed decisions about their life and personal choices. was created and is run by 'Advising Communities’, which is a UK registered charity (Charity No. 1061055)


"I am so embarrassed about the scars on my forearms. I can't wear t-shirts now without having to face the fact that I DID THAT to my arms."


MoreSend us your Quotes

Tips & Hints

  • Trust in someone

    If you’re ready to seek help for cutting or self-harm, the first step is being willing to confide in another person. It can be scary ...
  • Figure out what your self-harm triggers are

    Self-harm is most often a way of dealing with emotional pain. What feelings make you want to cut or hurt yourself? Whether it is sadnes...
  • Discover your feelings

    Having a hard time pinpointing exactly which feelings trigger your urge to self-harm? You may need to work on your emotional awareness....
  • Look for new ways of coping

    Self-harm is your way of dealing with feelings and difficult situations. So if you’re going to stop, you need to put alternative ways...
  • Build self-esteem

    Build self-esteem via positive affirmations. Write down things you like about yourself (or what others say are your positives), taking ...
  • More Tips & Hints